An Un-relaxing Day at the Spa
When we think of the spa, we think of facials, manicures and the pedicures that relax us and makes us say ah! This was not the case when we received an emergency call from an Upland, California spa. In the wee hours of the morning and before they opened, our technicians could already tell that the hardwood flooring towards the back of the shop was beginning to buckle. In fact, ½ foot of the wall was beginning to swell from the bottom up. Our team immediately placed air movers and a dehumidifier near the areas that detected moisture.
The spa owner received a call from a neighboring business saying that there was water dripping from out of the front door. When the owner got to her place of business, the water heater had been leaking and there was water everywhere. She remembered us from a business card her friend gave to her and she gave us a call right away. It was great that she did because it saved her thousands of dollars in the long run.
If she had not called us when she did, she would have more than likely had mold beginning to grow. Good call! Avoiding more damage to your place of business or commercial building will always give you an “ah” of relief!